Caller ID Spoofing: What You Need to Know
1) Caller ID Spoofing is a technique used by scammers who display misleading or inaccurate phone numbers in a recipient's Caller ID.
2) The technology they are using allows them to use local numbers and even numbers that belong to real people.
3) The numbers a scammer uses can change frequently and so it is difficult to trace where exactly the calls are coming from.
4) "Your telephone or internet service provider may have the ability to determine the true IP address or telephone number but they must be informed quickly before this information is overwritten on their database," Canada's Anti Fraud Centre explains on its website.
5) If you're using a Funeral Home Telephone Answering Service make sure that they are using Automatic Number Identification. It can screenout "demon diallers" and companies that make tens of thousands of calls (solicitors, etc.) and it can exclude them from your answering service bill by having the Funeral Home Answering Services system recognize their caller ID and dumping these calls before an operator ever has to speak with them.